Valiant Wood Moisture Meter
£21.99 (ex VAT £18.33)
An essential & underrated device for any woodburning stove or fire
- Easy to use and read, even in poor light
- Measure moisture content of wood fuels, structural timber, and brickwork
- Burning fully seasoned wood generates more heat, and reduces both chimney deposits and environmental pollution
- Built-in colour-change technology
- Measure temperature in °C or °F
- Low battery indicator
- Requires 2 x AAA batteries (not included)
Use the Moisture Meter to test that your firewood is fully seasoned. Then enjoy a fire with less smoke, no spitting logs, reduced chimney deposits and lower environmental pollution. Easy to use and extremely accurate.
Fuel quality is the single most important aspect of making a successful fire. To burn effectively the moisture content of firewood needs to be less than 20%, whether it be an open fire or in a stove. We only sell logs with a guaranteed average moisture content of 20% or less and our kiln dried logs have a guaranteed average moisture content of 15% or less.
Burning wet wood or unseasoned, freshly felled or green wood causes
• Heavy soot and tar build up in a chimney or liner
• Smokey chimneys
• Lower heat output
• Potentially corrosive acids in the chimney flue
• Increased likelihood of chimney fire
• Difficulty in getting the fire to burn
• Lower draw on chimneys causing smoke to enter the room
• Dirty stove glass with tar and creosote deposits
• Detrimental effects on the environment
The burning of low-grade fuel can also invalidate warranties of expensive stainless steel chimney liners.
Freshly felled timber has a moisture content of between 30 and 60%, depending on the type of wood. All wood should be split and stored under cover from the rain and open to wind and sun so it can dry for at least one year, preferably two. All of our logs have gone through this process to achieve an ideal moisture content. We deliver them to your door expertly seasoned and ready to burn.
The Valiant Moisture Meter can also be used in timber, floors and buildings in order to detect and measure moisture content.
191 x 110 x 45mm
Use the handy Valiant Moisture meter to ensure you get the best burn from your fuel, it not only has a back-lit screen to illuminate the reading but the built-in colour-change technology indicates the moisture level of the firewood. It’s an essential tool for any fireplace owner!
How does the moisture meter work?
Fuel quality is the single most important aspect of making a successful fire. To burn effectively the moisture content of firewood needs to be less than 20%, whether it’s being used in an open fire or a stove. Freshly felled timber can have a moisture content of between 30% and 60%, which when burnt can cause dangerous creosote build-up in chimneys and high emissions of particulates to the atmosphere.
Free Delivery Areas
Locations with Free Delivery Days
- Barnard Castle (Monday)
- Bedale (Tuesday)
- Boroughbridge (Tuesday)
- Darlington (Wednesday)
- Durham (Wednesday)
- Harrogate (Tuesday)
- Hartlepool (Wednesday)
- Hawes (Friday)
- Leyburn (Friday)
- Masham (Tuesday)
- Middlesbrough (Thursday)
- Newcastle upon Tyne (Wednesday)
- Northallerton (Tuesday)
- Redcar (Thursday)
- Richmond, North Yorkshire (Friday)
- Ripon (Tuesday)
- Sedgefield (Wednesday)
- Stockton-on-Tees (Thursday)
- Sunderland (Wednesday)
- Swaledale (Friday)
- Thirsk (Tuesday)
- Wetherby (Tuesday)
- Wolsingham (Monday)
- York (Tuesday)